Monday, March 23, 2015

The Refinement Process: a Snip and Slice

I had plans for spring break to watch the latest season of a very popular show. I loved the first two seasons and planned on watching the third during spring break. I felt it was the perfect time since I wouldn't have bible study to do and lots more free time.

This morning my hubby over breakfast said he was almost done with season two and that we could watch it together over break. This morning I smiled with those plans as I love watching shows with my hubby. 

I was getting ready after breakfast and felt this tug on my heart. I knew it was Jesus because He is always tugging at me, or pruning at me. I heard the sheers slicing through the air and knew what was coming. I closed my eyes and said "no Lord, let me have this show".

But like my previous blog post, you cannot hide from Him. Not even two days after writing that blog I was trying to hide from Him.

You see the show has sexual content in it that though doesn't appeal to me, it has perversion and elements of being uncomfortable for shock value. The show also encouraged in one episode abortion and having sex with multiple partners despite being married. An open marriage is the back bone of the show. To me watching the first two seasons, again I didn't feel too convicted watching it. Those story lines were just small snip its of the show and don't appeal to me. An open marriage for me? Never.

But regardless of how I felt then watching, this morning Jesus was telling me "no you can't watch this show".  It was the last thing I wanted to hear.  I ignored Him the rest of the day.

Despite my attempts at ignoring Him He still was pruning me. Cutting away branches. I felt the pain, the sadness. Ultimately this evening, yes this very evening, I listened and said "ok Jesus I won't watch it". 

I want to watch it. I want to see the latest story line. But I remember Balaam from my previous post and remember that my feet need to be on Jesus' foundation. I can't have one foot in the world and the other for Him. It doesn't work that way as a christian.

I.can't.have.both.

So I won't be watching this show.  I told my husband tonight that I won't watch it. He smiled knowing it was because of  Jesus and said he won't either. I already see blessings to the obedience.


I vowed in my marriage to only have eyes for Kyle. I don't know why exactly Jesus pruned those branches today from me, maybe this new season has something that would truly tempt me or maybe it again encourages open marriages, and Jesus doesn't want my very vulnerable heart to partake in that. 

Regardless the reasons, Jesus is altogether lovely. I want to be like Him and that means me being pruned even when it hurts or doesn't make sense. 

I love this verse that came to me tonight regarding this.


Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21

What temptations are you facing today as Christians? What show, book, or movie is causing you to sin?

These are questions He asked me today.

I'm thankful I heard those sheers slicing through the air and His loving foot steps that guided me today. 

Thank you for the cut today Jesus.

Because of Christ,

Emily Rickey


 


No comments:

Post a Comment